Wednesday, March 4, 2009

There is no place like Gymboree...There is no place like Gymboree...

There is no place like Gymboree...

If I click my heals while doing this do you think Lily will still be able to fit in their clothes? I know, I know, she's growing up. Last night we had a much overdue girl's night out. We had haircuts, well, I had a haircut. Somehow we had the times wrong again (this is the third or fourth time we've had the day or time wrong). This seems odd to me being that I don't have this problem anywhere else. Don't get me wrong, I love my hairdresser and so do my little people, it just seems like if I only have this issue there than maybe the issue isn't mine... Ok so I could totally screw it up, but after that first mix up I have been extra careful to listen very closely and write it all down right away. Totally off on a tangent there, sorry. Reeling it back in...

Lily and I have different tastes. This wasn't always the case. I remember beautiful days of matching dresses and hats. Wonderful little ensembles that screamed "cute little girl". Even now, we still both like Gymboree, but alas, she no longer fits. We stopped into GapKids, it is at least a good middle ground at the moment. We did Children's Place, she can do that for a few more months, maybe. We did find some Easter hopefuls there. We went into Icing and Claire's. We are talking about ear piercing. This is fine. We ventured for the first time into Aeropostle and she eyed American Eagle. The clothes here were cute, but oh My Lily, she is not built like that. She is not 7 feet tall and toothpick thin. I honestly don't even understand the sizing. I felt overwhelmed, and totally uncool. I so wanted to curl into the fetal position in the corner of Gymboree, you know where ~ under the clearance rack, where you can hear the singing on the TV, but you can't push a stroller through. The thought of sending her out with friends of mine that have older girls crossed my mind, the thought of how much I'd love to have another baby girl to dress crossed my mind too!

I'll be honest, I was relieved when we left the mall. It was then, in the car, that it hit me. She was talking, it was interesting, we were relating on a pretty grown up level. She thinks deeply, we're gonna have some good talks! She's not my baby . I can't stick a cute hat on her head and watch her do party tricks that amaze the grown ups. She's gonna wear her hair in ways that make me shake my head, she's going to like lots of things I don't. I will be out of my comfort zone in many shoe stores of the future (pumas...really? are they still around or back or what? made me laugh). I may not get spending money I don't have on accessories (ok, so if someone would accessorize me and give me a fund for this I might change my mind). I will never and I mean never respond to the following statement "Man, I wish I could find some black nail polish" (uttered last night at Claire's) with anything other than a slight gag and and "Oh, God, please no! (not that I have any prejudice against people wearing black nail polish I just think it's hideously unattractive, ok, and the idea of Lily "going goth" has been my biggest fashion fear since I put her in her first smocked, frilly, pink dress)]

Bottom line, the '80s are back, we are totally loving discussing it in depth even if she's more Cyndi Lauper and I'm more Debbie Gibson. Let's be honest, Cyndi Lauper was cooler anyway!

1 comment:

Amy said...

No more Gymboree? Alas, Emma still fits in Gymboree just great, but she "aged out" in the coolness factor last year. She's way too Bohemian for "that store where everything matches." Sigh. I feel your pain.