Wednesday, August 20, 2008

It was going to be...but it's not

It was going to be just a short post with a few words and two pictures. I think you've figured out by now that I have editing issues with both words and pictures. I've just uploaded 7 pictures instead of 2. I was simply going to state that today was Lily's first day of 5th grade. Fifth grade? That seems impossible. I was going to show you a picture of my shy little girl on her first day of preschool when she was three and follow it by a picture of this same girl this morning. But, well, on my way to find the preschool picture had to go through the album and the summer that led up to preschool and I couldn't stop myself...I had to share...it's a sickness really.
This was Lily's very favorite 3 year old dress. It actually had a name. It was two words like cha cha dress or something. I wish I could remember. It may not have been important at the time, but it seems like info I'd like to know! You mom's of little people, write this stuff down, you will care later! I remember it was some hoity toity European designer dress we bought on eBay and she wore it as often as I would let her! Notice I black & whited the first two so they wouldn't blind you, but it would be an injustice not to include at least one color picture!These are "boing boing" curls. They required a night of sleeping with her hair in rag rolls. She loved this! Somehow, I can't seem to get her to do this now!

It's hard to believe this cute little thing is the same child who at three put both hands on her hips one morning before preschool and told me in a very dramatic voice, "You just don't understand me! No one will ever understand me!!! Although that was a much more accurate prediction of what was to come than hats and boing boing curls!

So here they are the two pictures I've been getting to...

Look how terrified she was. She was so shy! I know if you know her now that is hard to believe, but she was. She used to clutch the back of my pants legs and hide behind me if anyone dared to say "hi" to her. People at our old church weren't even sure she spoke. People at our current church wonder if she ever stops! =) She was fine that day. Once she made it to school and saw her buddy, Joe, life was good. I cried a little, but not too much. I knew she was ready, and I knew it was good for her.

This morning her daddy dropped her off at the door early, before the doors even opened. She happily waited on her friends and loved socializing. She came out with a smile and tales of a wonderful day and wonderful days to come. I think i even had an outfit a bit similar to hers back in the '80s when I was in the 5th grade.

That first day and this day and every first day of school in between I picked her up, we went to lunch and then a movie. We threw in a bit of shopping for girl things that I couldn't even have imagined shopping for when she was three. I sat across the table from her at lunch and listened to her first day tales with the same intense curiosity as I did all those years ago. I found myself wondering when did she grow up so much?. All of the sudden this girl is talking about things I'm enjoying talking about, she's running out of the theater to get popcorn and soda refills without even a thought of shyness, she's reading my mind before the words can even come out when it comes to helping with her brothers. The past few years have been hard. For 7 years she was an only child of parents who wanted nothing more than to be her parents. The boys have changed things. They have made me less patient with her. They have made me expect more of her. They have taken away her spotlight. These things have their pros and cons. I think she will be a better person because of them, kinder, more responsible, but that doesn't mean I don't miss that little girl that she was. I value these girl moments, they don't come nearly as often as they once did. When did she get so beautiful? She was a beautiful baby and little girl, but it seems the last years are hazy for me. Today, for the first time in a long time I saw her. This incredibly beautiful girl who was once my baby and who will one day be my friend, but for the moment is just the child that God made her.

5 comments:

lynda said...

The first picture profile is so like one I have of my mom. It's uncanny. In the picture I have mom and a. fae are holding hands and facing each other.
She is a beautiful girl and growing into a beautiful young lady.
Love and Hugs

Jackie said...

You are so right...every little thing needs to be recorded because it's so easy to forget. Whenever cute litte things are done or said, I always think, "I'll remember that forever!" And a few weeks later I've already forgotten it. This post almost made me cry, to see the sweet transition from baby to girl. She is amazing.

donna said...

hey mom. I asked Kyle if he was excited about confirmation and told him to be nice to Sam. All he said was, "when does that start again?" I have many sad stories to tell you about boys but you have to remind me about them. I love Lily's first day of school outfit. See it does pay off to plan early.Luv Ya. Give everyone kisses.


Love,
Hayley

Colored With Memories said...

such a sweet post.

isn't it sad that we can look at our kids all day long and only occasionally "see" them?

Ninny said...

She is exquisite. I have to say I twinge of familiarity on your feelings squeezed my heart and landed a few tears.

I love how you wrote about it.

Hope to plan something soon.