Monday, June 29, 2009

Counting My Blessings and asking for prayers...

There are moments we have this split second revelation that in a matter of minutes our lives can change in a way we can't even fathom.

Sometimes we have those moments in our own world. Last week we had one. I was standing 2 feet from Dax while he sat on the side bar of our swing (about a foot off the ground). With all the crazy things he does, this one didn't even make me concerned. He wasn't goofing around, he was just sitting. He lost his balance went over backwards and landed on the back of his head. It made that sound, that horrible sound and blood started pouring out. To make a long story short, 5 hours in the ER, a wound that ended up being the wrong shape (round) to be stapled, a head CT due to the ER doc suspecting a depression fracture, which turned out to just be soft tissue damage, and a late night mother/son dinner at McDonald's, we made it home where I felt so blessed to have three sleeping children.

Sometimes we have those moments where we stand on the sidelines and watch in horror as the unthinkable happens in the life of another family. The blessing is, we have the ability to pray for them, to ask God to let us carry just a tiny piece of their burden if it could lessen it for them. A young family in my hometown suffered a terrible loss last night. The very simple story is here.

The bigger story is that this couple are friends of both my brother and sister in law and Mike's brother and sister in law. This family is a strong family of faith with a 5 year old little girl, Cara, and twin boys, Ethan and Evan, who are just a few months younger than Dax. Ethan has lost his twin brother. I can't even imagine how that would feel. There is nothing we can do that is bigger than praying.

Praying and looking at our own children in that misty midnight light in broad daylight. You know the light...when you stand beside the bed and they are sleeping peacefully and you feel this ache in the deepest corners of your heart that can't possibly love another human more. We are so blessed to have every minute we have as they grow. Today, for the Dell family, do it middle of the day, when part of you would rather be soaking in a warm bath and reading a book. Remember what a blessing those crazy moments really are.

7 comments:

Deirdre said...

I can't even begin to imagine the heartbreak.
We will pray.

Melissa from Puddin Pop Designs said...

I am s sad for this family right now. Wiping tears as I type. I will definitly pray for them and hug my own a little tighter.

Anonymous said...

This breaks my heart. I will pray for them. Life is so precious and you never know what will happen.
Love and prayers for you too.
A. Lynda

Jackie said...

This just breaks my heart. I am so, so sorry, and I am praying for them now.

lynda said...

We got your mom off to the airport this morning. It's so good to see her when we can be of a help.
love
a.lynda

Melissa from Puddin Pop Designs said...

Just thought I'd check in and say I miss hearing your praises and wanted yo know am praying for you.

Beth said...

Me too (I'm seconding Melissa's response)! Is everything ok at your household? You've been quiet for a while!!