A friend lost her dad earlier this week, and it hasn't been so long since I lost mine. That sting comes bubbling to the surface whenever someone I care about gets dealt the same blow. We learn from it, we grow through it, we survive because HE carries us through it, but really, let me be honest, it still sucks. I know how much it meant when people showed up at my dad's service for me. Those old friends and new friends. People who lived around the corner and those who traveled for hours. There was a bit of a pile up at the end of the line of my friends, and just the sight of them, their hugs, their being there brought me to tears. It made me feel held.
In my infinite wisdom I wanted to be there for my friend. I know there were many from here making the trek. Many from our Bible study and Sunday school were headed that direction. And really, that was my plan.
Seems though, that sometimes what I think are the right plans may not be. Due to all sorts of logistical issues I ended up at home this evening.
If I had been there I would have missed...
the electricity going out
dinner made completely on the grill and eaten outside
special ice cream treats left over from last night's visit to Mission Survivor (a youth group event, I promised to blog them, I will!)
ice cream treats dripping off little boy bodies
three children, two naked and one dressed, running through the hose, soaping up outside and running through the hose some more
I would have missed their giggling, their splashing
God planted me where HE wanted me, he kept my friend and her family close to my heart, circling prayers through my head for them as they walked through this evening and He left me living this night, this perfect summer evening.
If I had been where I planned to be I never would have captured(straight out of the camera) the amazing sunlight washing over everything as it went down this evening over the joy of little boys exploring their world.
My day was changed, morphed, because I was not in control. He reminded me of those little moments that make life so beautiful.
Tonight, I don't feel like running away. I can't say that the thought of that Calgon commercial did not run through my mind earlier today, but tonight I'm at peace and I pray that all those who were where I thought I should be will find those same moments of peace.
6 comments:
amen.
love your perspective here.
A beautiful post...and beautiful photos too!
Marci-
I know you held me in your heart. Thanks for all the encouragement & prayers.
Lisa
Touched my heart! It's one of those times of the year for remembering. My thoughts and prayers are with Lisa and her family. Love, Mom
These pictures are so lovely and do give and wonderful prespective to life and love.
I am thinking of you and prayers going your way.
Love
A. Lynda
I think you dad would have liked it that way.
Post a Comment