Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Christmas, The Blog. Part 4, The Day After...


So I'm thinking Christmas should be wrapping up soon...but really it is my favorite time of the year. I love all the anticipation, the music, the lights, the smells, the love. We start it a month before; why not hold onto it for a month after? Who knows when we'll take the outside lights down. Do we really need to? What does it hurt to keep them up year round just knowing that with the flip of a switch the best season of the year returns? I'm thinking this year, we might just leave them up!

The day after Christmas this year was our day to gather with Mike's family at his grandparent’s somewhere in the hills of southeast Ohio. Lily did lots of the picture taking this year, as well as some rather...um....interesting videography from the drive. I thought it would be fun to highlight some of her work.


The highlight of this gathering is getting to see everyone, even if it is for just a short period of time. Mike's grandparents are amazing people. What I have always loved most about them is their humor and their love for each other. They for years have illustrated to me what a lifelong marriage looks like. Their laughter, love, and silly flirtations with each other have made me laugh and warmed my heart. I feel blessed to have been brought into their family. I wish we could see them more than once a year. When we were closer it was a bit more often, but still not often enough. It's amazing how over the years the numbers have grown, the house, however, has not and although it's a little tight, and a bit warm, there is still always laughter.

This year we attempted to put together a family photograph. The last time this was done the family consisted of Mike's grandparents, his parents, his aunt & uncle, Mike, his brother Jeff, and his two cousins. This time we added two granddaughter in laws and six great grandchildren. We had to do this inside do to the weather and health issues. Jeff brought his tripod and I brought my camera & flash. Between the two of us we figured out how to use my timer (something I never use!) and figured out the best angles and lighting available with everyone in a small space. And then we began to shoot....


We did it! We actually have one shot where 17 out of 18 people are looking at the camera with open eyes and fairly pleasant faces. I'm trying to figure out if I can cut and place my sweet little niece, Allie, in from another shot. It seems as if when I was behind the camera, she'd look at it, but when I'd run into the picture she'd turn her head to watch me. So we have cute picture of Allie without me in them....I'm not sure if that is such an issue, I like being behind the camera rather than in front anyway! =)


I'm excited that I was asked to do this, that the parties were all willing. Even if it is not perfect, it is real! What a wonderful gift for our children to have!

No comments: