Monday, August 22, 2011

True words

Today the dam broke.

We started this morning with the usual...

"I'm not going! I hate school! It's boring and dumb."

These words I have become so familiar with. So familiar I've learned to block them out and put on a smile, boy that must be annoying to Dax. Hopefully it's as annoying as those words!

Today after he was dressed and then undressed he started to cry.

"I am sad, I am so scared, I really miss my family. Mommy, can you pleeeeeaaaase just stay with me at school." 

Bingo. Fear. Fear trumps anger every time. 

I hugged him, I loved on him, told him how I miss him too. Then we got dressed. We cut out a family picture and tucked it in his pocket so that his whole family was at school with him. Then we tracked down our old friend, Gigi. She's been a good and loyal friend for 6 years now. One paw may have had the fabric replaced with mismatched stock and she might be a little less soft and pretty than when she began, but she's always on standby for a good trip to a scary place. She stowed away in Dax's back pack today. She probably loved it, it's been a long time since she's been out. She spent the whole year in his back pack his first year of preschool. She did make the journey to Ohio when he went alone with Nana this summer and had a cameo appearance in the dentist's office last fall. Maybe my big first grader isn't so big after all, but that's ok.  Maybe being brave and tough is a little over rated.

Maybe one day those true words will turn into...

"I love school! I just can't wait to go!"  

A girl can dream, right? 

I know we have have a big big God and I'll never underestimate what he can do!

No comments: