Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Have I become That Mom?

You know, the totally uncool old lady who lectures her kids about inappropriate lyric content??

Oh please forgive me! I can't even chock it up to "music has changed since my day", cause really, that's a load of crap.

I should be thankful that we are blessed with a great current local Christian radio station that plays good stuff. I remember Christian radio when i was younger *gag* it sounded like something only grandmas listened to. You definitely could not dance to it. So, I'm totally grateful that 90% of the time my kids listen to music filled with positive stuff. 90% of the time my tween is totally content with "God Music" as Dax calls it ** side note** Dax tells me when he grows up he will be a drummer in a band that plays "God Music", the kid is good, you should hear him**

So why does Lily liking this song drive me so crazy??

Most of you know, either because you knew him or I've mentioned before that my dad was a DJ. He loved music, this was one of his best gifts to me and one place where we connected. I must admit though, there were many songs played long before I was a teenager that were probably inappropriate. This includes one such song that was discussed in jest as a possible father/daughter wedding dance song. Some of you know that story..it's still makes me laugh. My brothers and I were singing this one at a very young age. **Side note** hunting for that post took me totally off track for a bit meandering through old posts. I found this one and it made me stop, cry a wonder why it was so much easier to praise then. I need to get back on track!**

Ok, back to the point of this, it's getting long. I thought about my journey through the 80's & 90's. I found myself with a goofy grin when I thought about these lovelies...

exhibit A & B, worse yet C...ok I can't even find a link that won't get me in big trouble! Remember a little ditty called Discovery Channel?

Yeah, that third one, far far worse than anything Lily has ever even heard. Granted I wouldn't let her listen to it, but still it gave us a good giggle, didn't it?

On the way home from Ohio I was listening to some random 80's flashback channel and this one started playing. I immediately started dancing in my seat. About halfway through, I thought "crap, she's gonna start asking me questions, or laughing" and I changed the station.

So am I her?? That censoring mother? I never had one. My mom, pretty cool. Is it because she's 10? If she was 16 I'd probably roll my eyes and be done with it. The above mentioned tunes didn't scar me for life, I'm still here. My faith is pretty strong, I'm a pretty decent human being (I think). So why am I struggling with this one?

**side note, While youtubing for songs I came across these guys I totally love them! I spent a little time with them listening to this and this, there are more, many more...who knew you could do that with a ukulele!**

I haven't done a musical post for awhile, I'm kind of sad this is it!

I will post Ohio pictures sooner or later.

After finally coming to the end of this post I think it should have been entitled A Random Run through Marci's Morning Thoughts, scary, isn't it?

I'm going...I so need some God time!

No comments: