I'm stopping in the middle of the most gorgeous day, which I will return to blog about later, to vent a major frustration. I'm sure when I read back over this years from now I will laugh, since I'm sure at that point, these particular devices will in fact be somehow implanted in all children at birth. I know this, because after deep conversation with Mike we have decided that these devices are indeed the Mark of the Beast and no one is having to force anyone to be marked because we are going willingly from a very young age, far, far too young an age!
What am I talking about, you ask? Oh, you may think it's silly, mundane really, but watch, it's sucking out the brains of our youth, and our adults for that matter, I'm watching them go down at a maddening rate. I know, you're growing impatient.
Cell Phones
I hate them. Yes, you can boo, you can hiss. It's not the concept. I like them for their original purpose, emergency use. Great thought. Like most things in this world it just sort of blew up after that. I won't deny that I have one. I do, but guess what? I use it for emergencies and quick questions, simple convenience. In all honesty, I don't even give the number out very often. Why? Why you ask? Because I like to go to Walmart and walk around without talking to people. I like to not have the world be able to track me down for stuff that doesn't really matter. If it really is important, please, don't hesitate to call. Important though, is not a meeting reminder. I will admit that I am enamoured with those cool touch screen phones that do everything under the sun. Also with the idea of being cool enough to actually text, and not be totally out of the loop all the time, feeling like the "outcast" because I did not receive that mass text. Oh yes, it's tempting. Although I'm sure like Facebook, it would just suck you in, draw you to it with it's little camera, music, and net surfing ability. I could be easily taken.
Even if I could be convinced to mark myself with this evil mark, what I will never be convinced of is that my 5th grader should! For the love of all things holy, people stop! Stop giving your elementary school kids, and God forbid, younger children cell phones. It would make my life oh so much easier!! They are immediate gratification oriented enough. Now there seems to be no such thing as a plan. They call you after school from their friend's phones and ask if they can go here or there. They get irate when you are the one and only mom who says no. What is wrong with deciding on Tuesday that on Friday there is going to be a sleepover? Why is it Friday after school that someone calls on their cell phone on the way home? Am I that old? Do I really have to make decisions at that moment with no consult with the other parents? With my spouse? Why is this? Why if I let my child go to a friend's house does she insist on calling from their cell phone and and asking if she can stay longer, or telling me she's running late? Whatever happened to just being home within a minute or two of when I said to be home? Yes, I know I'm rambling...venting, let's call it the venting of an uncool mom!
I'm posting a couple of polls on parenting a 5th grader. I may not listen to you, because really, according to Lily I only do what I want anyway (like mother like daughter, I guess), but I would be very interested to see your opinions! So even if you read and never comment, vote!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
A good vent! We all need to do it occassionally.Amelia is now seven and ask for a cell phone!!!! I can't even imagine why she would even want one!
The pictures are great and I love how kids think!
A.L.
Post a Comment